Friday, January 26, 2007

TURNS OUT, "PAN'S LABYRINTH" IS NOT A KID'S MOVIE

My friends took me the other night to see the Oscar-nominated "Pan's Labyrinth," explaining it was a "kids' movie."

Very quickly, we realized this "fairy tale" story, set in fascist Spain of the 1940s, is no kiddie flick. Granted, I got through most of the really gorey segments by stuffing my face firmly behind my girlfriend's shoulder and putting my fingers in my ears, but I did get to witness the bludgeoning (to death) of a man by numerous thrusts of a broken bottle into his face, the widening of a fascist captain's mouth via kitchen knife, and some gross things done to a prisoner war with common tool shed implements.

What have we learned here?

"Pan's Labyrinth" is not for children, and even if it were, you don't need fancy military weapons to maim and kill. A simple stroll through your kitchen and garage - hello, pliers! - will suffice.

1 comment:

beki said...

Oh man. I keep hearing the same thing from other people who've seen the movie, too. I'm supposed to go see it at Stanford tomorrow. I hope it doesn't make me throw up.